We spoke with Zane McNeill about his new book Vegan Entanglements: Dismantling Racial and Carceral Capitalism and what “carceral veganism” and “anti-carceral veganism” means and looks like. We also discuss his other new book, Y’all Means All: The Emerging Voices Queering Appalachia.
- Follow us on Twitter at @FoodThoughtPod, and you can drop us a line at ThoughtAboutFood on Gmail. Rate our podcast and leave us a review wherever you get your podcasts! It helps people find the show.
- We have a YouTube channel! It features more conversations about the meaning of food in our lives, and includes some great recipes to boot. Check it out here and subscribe!
- Zane McNeill is an activist and author who has published anthologies on anti-carceral veganism and queer and trans liberation with PM Press, Sanctuary Press, and Lantern Publishing and Media. They are also a contributing writer with Sentient Media and Law@theMargins.
- Zane's new book is Vegan Entanglements: Dismantling Racial and Carceral Capitalism from Lantern Press Media, and his other new book is Y'all Means All: The Emerging Voices Queering Appalachia. Check them out!
- Zane shared a recipe for Butternut Mac 'n Cheez that he had early in his career to being vegan that his mom made. Check it out, and we both recommend the Oh She Glows website generally.
- The intro and outro music is "Whiskey Before Breakfast" which is both a great traditional song and a not-straight-edge but certainly punk way to start the day. It was performed and shared by The Dan River Ramblers under a Creative Commons license.